Please do the following before part 1 to ensure that you are ready to actively participate in the session.
1. Download and install a code/text editor
2. Set up web hosting with PHP
Free web hosting
You can use free web hosting for testing and for the workshop, but I wouldn’t recommend using them to run experiments.
To set up an account on Infinityfree
- Sign up for a free hosting account and verify your email address
- Login and navigate to accounts
- Click create an account and fill in the form (use a subdomain)
Note: Your site could take up to 3 days to activate, so you may not be able to login to the FTP or see your website for a while.
Paid web hosting
You should use a paid web hosting service when you are running your experiment.
Example: Valuehost (valuehost.ca)
3. Download, Install and Set up FTP Client
Recommended client: Filezilla (On mac, unzip, then drag and drop to Applications folder)
How to set up your FTP client to login to your web hosting
If you are using an infinityfree account and need to find your account details:
- Login and navigate to “Accounts”
- Click on the green “Manage” button next to the account you created
- The FTP details (username, password, hostname, port) are on the right hand side. Click show/hide to see the password
- Click on Control Panel to open the control panel. This will activate your ftp account (You can just close the window when you’re done)
To set up your account in Filezilla:
- Open Filezilla and navigate to File > Site Manager
- Click “New site” and enter a name
- Enter the FTP details in the information on the right (Note: Host = hostname; User = Username) You don’t need to enter any other settings
- Click connect to login. If this works, you should see files load in the middle pane on the right side of your screen
4. Download the materials for part 1
Materials are available on the main Intro jsPsych Workshp page
5. Upload the experiment to your web host
How to upload the experiment to your web host using FTP
- Unzip the experiment folder on your computer
- Login to your webhost in Filezilla
- On the left side, you will see the files on your computer. Navigate to where the experiment files are
- On the right size, you will see the files on the server. Navigate to the appropriate directory. This may vary depending on your server. With paid hosting, it’s usually the public_html folder. For infinityfree open ‘htdocs’
- Select the experiment folder from your computer on the left side and drag and drop it to the right side. This will copy all the files onto your website.
Note: Keep the copy on your computer. We will be building the experiment locally (on our own computer) and uploading it to the web host to test it.